Sunday, May 19, 2013

Our moment with DeEtte Beckstead!




Tell us a story! What is one of your favorite childhood memories?

 

A Fishy Story

 

I must have been 8 or 9. My dad woke me early that summer day. It was 4 am, and we were going fishing at Strawberry Reservoir with Grandpa H. I was so sleepy, I don't remember the ninety minute drive to the lake. I'm sure I slept in the backseat all the way through the canyons. We went fishing many times each summer and I usually slept on the way.

When we arrived at the boat launch, my dad mounted our small motor on the back of the rented boat. We loaded our tackle boxes (I had my own), and the cooler with our lunch. We put on our life jackets over our coats. Even though it was summer, it was quite chilly at that time of morning. Later, when the sun had warmed the mountain air, we would take off our coats and hope we didn't get sunburned! I sat near the stern by Dad, and Grandpa sat in the bow. I loved to go fishing with them, even if I didn't like getting up so early!

I had baited my own hook for some time so I didn't need to wait for someone to do it for me. Dad started the motor and we left the dock. I dropped my baited line over the side of the wooden boat.  As soon as it disappeared below the water, I felt a tug on my line. I looked at my dad in surprise.

“It's just the water. Leave your line in.” Dad told me as he guided the boat out in the lake.

When we got close to our favorite spot near a cove, I still felt the tugging.

“Keep it in the water. You couldn't have a fish already.” Grandpa said. Neither he nor Dad thought a fish would have taken the bait that fast.

I didn't want to, but I left my line in the water, constantly feeling the irregular tugging through my favorite red fishing pole. When we stopped a few minutes later and dropped anchor, the tugging continued.

Finally, after a few more minutes I told my dad I could still feel it. Dad shrugged and said I could reel it in if I wanted to, but I didn't have a fish. I began reeling it in. As the hook end came near the boat, Dad and Grandpa looked over and saw.....

Yes, a fish! The pan-size rainbow trout had been on my line since we were sitting at the dock! Dad grabbed the net and scooped up the fish. Both Dad and Grandpa were surprised, but I knew from the start it was a fish on my line!

And that was the only fish we caught that entire day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for stopping by and visitng our page!