Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Our Interview with Karina Kantas!

Image of Karina Kantas                                          Stone Cold



                                                            Bio
Karina Kantas writes novels, short stories and when her imagination is working over time, she writes thought provoking/dark flash fiction.
She is presently working on two new novels: Road Rage; an urban thriller, and Broken Chains; MI5 thriller.
Karina writes in the genres of fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and thrillers, just to name a few.
With over thirty publications, Karina Kantas doesn't just want to be known as an author of exciting MC fiction, so she continues expanding her genre writing.
She is also the owner and editor of http://www.urban-novels.com
Her inspirations are the author S.E.Hinton and the rock band Iron Maiden.
                                           Bio provided by author's site

It was our pleasure to get a chance to get to know a bit more about Karina. It looks like people will have a hard time pidgeon holing her into a one genre writer. It looks like she has a love of all different kinds of writing. If the story needs to be told she will tell it, her way. Please give a warm welcome to Karina!
 
1.     What makes for a good hook in your stories? Where does your inspiration come from?  
Life inspires me. I also get my ideas from vivid sometimes disturbing dreams. My hook is I think I have found a hole in the overfilling market place with my genre of fiction.

2.     Are you an organized writer? Do you do things like take notes and make lists of characters?  Or do you free write and work it out as you go?
I always start with a conflict and then go from there. Once the basic plot and characters are formed, the story takes a life of its own. When I’m “in the zone” I always carry a notepad and Dictaphone around with me as you never know when you’re gonna get an awesome idea for a scene. I free write first, and then make lists so I don’t confuse myself.

3.     What is your normal writing day like? Do you write when you are inspired or do you have a schedule?    
 I could never stick to a schedule, unless of course I had a deadline. I write when my mind is so full of ideas it just won’t shut down.

4.     Who is your favorite author and how did they inspire you to write?    
I have read some amazing book from authors, but S.E.Hinton will always be my number one author, as her book The Outsiders inspired me to write my first book In Times of Violence.
5.     It’s easy to see that you have a passion for writing but is there any part of it you don’t like?  
 I love writing, I love the creative process; it’s the numerous read throughs that I don’t like. Unless I’ve just picked up the manuscript after a few months of reprieve, then the excitement and adrenaline comes rushing back.

6.     Do you make time to read and if you do what are you reading right now?   
 I love reading as much as writing. I’m going through around 4-5 books a week at the moment. I’m currently reading George. R. R.Martin’s, A Game of Thrones.

7. How did you get started in writing in this style of fiction? Is there personal life experience in the writing?    
Yes, there is always a piece of Karina in my books. My writing helps me to relive the good and bad times I’ve been through. I get a lot of closure from my books. I’ve always loved reading about rebels and outlaws. But these books are hard to come by. I’m determined to change that. My urban thrillers are not just about violence, blood and bullets; they are about romance, lifelong friendships, respect and belonging. I get to hit out in my books and be the punisher, which I would never do in real life. For a while, I allow my readers to escape reality.
 
8. Your books have been published with Amazon.com, Does this mean you see the publishing industry headed this way?  
 I have five titles. My fifth novel, Huntress, was published traditionally by MMP. The other four, I published myself, through a second party such as Lulu. Then because of the birth of e-readers and the sudden rise in e-book sales, I made sure my titles were available on Amazon Kindle.

9. Do you have any online sites where others can read more of your writings?
My website http://www.freewebs.com/froget/ has excerpts, blurbs and reviews of all my books as well as links to previously published nonfiction.

10. Do you have any more stories in the works? What kinds of stories do you plan to write next?  
 I’ll be staying with the thriller genre as that’s where my passion lies. My completed urban thriller Road Rage is being sent around the offices of literary agents and I’m 50% through the first draft of Broken Chains, my MI5 thriller. I also have a two book fantasy series that's gathering dust at the bottom of my drawer.

11. Who would be your first choice to play Billy from your book "Stone Cold"?    That’s a hard one, because as I wrote this story I was picturing myself as Billy. Apart from the gruesome murders and the supernatural element, Stone Cold the YA supernatural thriller is based on my own experiences. I’d probably beg the director to allow me to do a screen test for the part of Billy, as I love acting.

12. If you could meet anyone from any time who would it be and what would be your first question?
I’m a huge fan of Iron Maiden. I’d love to meet Bruce Dickinson. Not only is he such an amazing vocalist and front man for the band, he’s also an author. My book Heads and Tales which is a diverse collection of flash and short fiction was inspired by the titles of the songs from Best of the Beast album. My first question to him would be. “Can you sign my book?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for stopping by and visitng our page!