Friday, February 3, 2012

Our interview with Michael Horton!

                                                           James Eldritch and the Day Something Happened

                                                                      Bio

Michael Horton is a storyteller living in northern Atlanta. In 2009 he earned his BFA in Game Art and Design, but in 2010 he began his pursuit of professional writing "for real this time." His debut novel, Devil Have Mercy, was accepted for publication the following year. He continues to draw pixel art and obsess over geeky statistics as a side-side-side hobby, but writing consumes most of his time. While Michael has never seen a real life pegasus and would be too afraid to ride one, he is sure the experience would be amazing. You know. Probably.

                                                     Bio provided by authors site

It was our pleasure to get a chance to meet Michael through the internet. He is a very engaging and fun person to talk to. I discovered he has had a love of writing for a very long time. He has written quite a few books in multiple genres. Please give a warm welcome to Michael!
1. What makes for a good hook in your stories? Where does your inspiration come from?
I just write about what I think is cool, or things that I would want to read. If I like rabbits that can turn into guns, someone out there probably does too. Readers are like friends in that way, and I want to be a good friend by writing more books.
2. Are you an organized writer? Do you do things like take notes and make lists of characters? Or do you free write and work it out as you go?
I work out a very loose outline and list of major characters before I start on a story. Sometimes it’s easy to stick to those original ideas, but what I write typically ends up being completely different. Mostly I’m what they call a pantser; if a new scene, character, or idea wants to show up, I’ll sit back and see what happens.
3. What is your normal writing day like? Do you write when you are inspired or do you have a schedule?
I end up doing most of my writing at night once everyone has gone to bed and I’ve run out of distractions. I can put a lot of words to paper when I actually do sit and write, but it still takes some effort to get started.
4. Who is your favorite author and how did they inspire you to write?
This is always a difficult question, because I draw inspiration from a lot of different sources. Milton, Hemingway, Frost, Lovecraft, King… the list goes on. I don’t think I can claim direct inspiration from any one author.
5. It’s easy to see that you have a passion for writing but is there any part of it you don’t like?
I think most writers share a hatred of synopses. Taking everything about your story and stripping it down to its bare elements can be painful. Everything else comes pretty naturally.
6. Do you make time to read and if you do what are you reading right now?
I love reading—I’m actually trying to set a personal record this year. I recently started S.M. Boyce’s Lichgates, but then I had edits to do. I’m looking forward to picking it up again, though.
7. How did you get started in writing in the supernatural genre? Is there personal life experience in the writing?
I had several experiences growing up that most people might call supernatural, or at the very least “weird.” My stories tend to be a bit more elaborate than what I remember, though.
8. Your books have been published with Amazon.com, Does this mean you see the publishing industry headed this way?
I think more people are catching on to technology—smartphones and tablets and ereaders and all that. They’re a lot more willing to buy things online than they were five or ten years ago, so I do think ebooks represent a rapidly growing market, especially with Amazon. Paperbacks will be around for a while, though, until they find some way to replicate that new book smell.
9. Do you have any online sites where others can read more of your writings?
Yes! My writing stuff (and writing about writing stuff) can be found over at my blog. (http://mhortonbooks.blogspot.com)
10. Do you have any more stories in the works? What kinds of stories do you plan to write next?
I just finished the Eyr series, and there are more James Eldritch books to come, and I have far more projects to complete. I tend to go back and forth between whimsical and gloomy, so I’m not completely sure what I’ll be doing next.
11. Who would be your first choice to play James Eldritch from your book "James Eldritch and the Day Something Happened"?
The answer is obviously Ryan Reynolds.
12. If you could meet anyone from any time who would it be and what would be your first question?
I’d have to meet myself in 30 years. I’m dying to know if this whole writing thing works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for stopping by and visitng our page!